Thursday, February 20, 2014

Reaching Out

Recently, I had the opportunity to attend the 2013 Reaching Out MBA conference in New Orleans. I didn’t know what to expect from an LGBT MBA conference, but as the only attendee from New Mexico and my first MBA conference, I knew that I was an ambassador for my state and university.  From the beginning cocktail mixer, I knew I was in the right place to become inspired. I had an opportunity to challenge myself, and was on the cusp of having the ability to grow as an LGBT student and professional.

The Reaching Out MBA is an organization that empowers LGBT MBA students to become professionals who will lead the way to equality in business education, in the workplace and throughout society.  At the New Orleans conferences, I was joined by over 1,200 students, business leaders, and recruiters.

The conference usually lasts three days and includes panel discussions on issues relevant to today's diverse professionals like expatriation, employee assistance, energy, and changing global conditions.  The conference also hosts a case study competition, a business plan competition, and prides itself on sponsoring a high-caliber job fair, and on providing the ability to meet and network with other LGBT, ally MBAs and businesses. This year's conference will be held in San Francisco.

I had an amazing time and want to share my experiences with my MBA classmates.

Each year before the main conference, ROMBA holds an Annual Leadership Summit.  The Summit is the perfect opportunity to build your network, share ideas, and raise visibility through meeting and interacting with fellow MBA lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender business school student leaders. Topics covered often include outreach on campus, building awareness, and growing LGBT MBA student club organizations.

This year's School Leadership Summit will be held in Chicago on April 18-19th.

Registration, which is free for up to 3 MBA students from each school, will be available at the end of January. I’ll be attending and if you are interested in learning more about the conference or attending, you can contact me or visit www.reachingoutmba.org.

Morgan R. Nelson is a second-year MBA candidate with a concentration in marketing and operations.  He is a millennial, a humorist, and is passionate about aviation, craft beer, and creative marketing.  You can connect with him on Twitter @morgannelson or at www.morganrnelson.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and discussion may be moderated. Offensive content (including, but not limited to, racist, sexist, homophobic or anti-Semetic statements) may be deleted, as well as comments that insult, bully, threaten, harass or libel.