Thursday, December 12, 2013

Give Thanks

Congrats fellow students, we’ve made it through over half the semester! After late nights of studying hard, spending countless hours’ writing papers and numerous meetings with group members we have now come to the very last stretch of the semester.  You can see the finish line in sight, the banners are raised, and the taste of victory is in the air.  For some of you winter break is just a pause in the midst of your schooling, while for others it marks the end of a successful journey through college.

For me, I’m in the latter stretch of my journey here at Anderson.  Anderson has become a home away from home for me because somewhere between my undergrad and grad career I no longer came to Anderson to just attend classes and get good grades, but rather enveloped myself in it and relished in the infinite opportunities afforded here.  Now that I am nearing the end of my college life, I can’t help but look back and reflect on the fact that I cannot take credit for the success that I have experienced here.

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person.
         Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame
         within us." -Albert Schweitzer.

To me this quote exemplifies how significantly I’ve been impacted by certain people in my life and how we have the power to do the same.  I challenge you to take the time to stop in the hustle and bustle of tests, papers and presentations, and write a letter to someone who has impacted your life.  It doesn’t have to be long and eloquent, just a simple thank you will suffice.

It is because of others here at Anderson, my family, and friends, that I am where I am today.  I think John F. Kennedy said it best:

“We must find time to stop and thank the people that have made a difference in our lives.”

Considering that Thanksgiving was just a few weeks ago, I don’t think that this could be more
appropriate than ever.  Regardless of where you are in life with school and in the workforce, I’m sure that there is someone you can think of that has either inspired you or supported you in some way to be where you are today.

I can’t believe that this month I will be done with the college life that I have come to enjoy so much.  I can’t even put to words how thankful I am to Kate and Natalie for investing in me and teaching me so much about how to brand myself and grow both personally and professionally.  I’m thankful to my professors who taught me that through hard work and discipline I can succeed in my endeavors, and that the only one stopping me from accomplishing my dreams is me.  My family has been my number 1 support since I began college, and I don’t know where I would be without them.  The friends that are like family to me have been there for me in ways that I didn’t even know I needed.

With all this being said, I just want to give thanks for those you have left such a significant imprint on my life, and encourage you to do the same.

Ashley

Current MBA student striving for concentrations in Marketing and Operations Management.  Graduate with Bachelors of dual degrees in Business Administration and Economics.  Experienced in leadership through being an Anderson Career Services Ambassador, AGBS Vice President, and ALPFA Director of Community Service. Self-motiviated individual. Developed and designed the website for the restaurant Vic's Daily Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and discussion may be moderated. Offensive content (including, but not limited to, racist, sexist, homophobic or anti-Semetic statements) may be deleted, as well as comments that insult, bully, threaten, harass or libel.