Friday, August 23, 2013
Making the Most of Career Week 2013
Welcome to Career Week 2013! We are so excited to bring you a great calendar full of professional development events designed to help you enhance your professional brand and communicate your brand to employers at the Career Fair.
We know it can feel overwhelming to look at the schedule of events, so we compiled the following Career Week best practices to help you design a Career Week strategy that works for YOU!
1. Attend 2 workshops and Student Employer Reception. We encourage all Anderson students to commit to attending a minimum of 2 preparation workshops, as well as the Student Employer Reception and the Career Fair. It might sound like a lot, but it’s the best way to make sure that you are getting the preparation you need for Career Fair success! With offerings ranging from resume prep to 30-second commercial development, you’ll find something that meets your needs in our brochure. As extra incentive, when you RSVP for 2 workshops, you are eligible to register for the Student Employer Networking reception held the night before the Career Fair. Use this opportunity to connect with employers prior to Career Fair and walk in with even more confidence! Finally, don’t forget that registering for 2 events will enter you into the drawing for the HP Slate—who doesn’t want a new tablet for the school year?
2. Research attendees on the blog and LinkedIn. Know before you go—make sure you do your homework before Career Fair! Researching both the companies and open positions will help you formulate educated questions and provide you with the confidence to network. You can view information about all of our attending employers on our website at brandyou.mgt.unm.edu.
3. Make sure your Lobo Career Connection Profile is up to date. Many employers review resumes on Lobo Career Connection, but they won’t be able to find yours if your information is out of date. Check to be sure your graduation date and concentration are current and you’ll be set!
4. Upgrade your Career Fair outfit. Did you know professional dress is one of the first things employers will notice about you? Make sure you’re sending the best message possible by wearing a polished look. Need inspiration? Check out our Pinterest page for ideas and some great discounts at retailers!
5. Pay attention to the details. Sometimes it’s the little things that make the greatest impact. Before you walk in to the Career Fair, check yourself out from head to toe. Leave your backpack with us at the front—all you need to take in is your resume and some business cards. If everything about you, from your polished shoes to your professional hairstyle looks great, you’re ready to go!
Don’t forget your follow up after the Career Fair! A thank you note, even if you are not actively pursuing an opportunity, is always a great professional gesture and will make you stand out from the crowd.
Stay tuned to the blog for my post-Career Fair tips coming soon—Happy Career Week!