Friday, May 24, 2013

My Freshman Self

I know sometimes many of us wish we could go back in time and do things a little differently. When it comes to school, I catch myself thinking about the things I could have done early on that would have helped me now. Mostly, I wish I could tell my freshman self what to expect and to do things that will benefit me in the future.

After I graduated high school, I had no idea what I wanted to study in college because I had absolutely no clue about what I wanted to be when I “grew up”- thank goodness for prerequisites! So, I took my time with my classes and attended the local NMSU branch in Alamogordo; I wasn’t ready to venture off to a new city quite yet. Looking back on it now, I would go back and tell myself to just go for it and move away to have the “real” college experience. Then I think about how all of my classmates who did move away to go to NMSU or UNM ended up coming back to Alamogordo after just one semester. I remember telling myself back then that I had made the right decision to stay at home for a while. And maybe I was right, maybe I would have come back just like the rest of them. But, I would definitely tell myself not to be afraid of taking risks because I’ve learned that sometimes the scariest things are also the most rewarding.

So, I eventually moved to Albuquerque because my dad got a job at Kirtland and I decided to move with my family because the Alamogordo was no longer for me and I didn’t want to be stuck there. I had also already been at the local branch for a year and pretty soon they would no longer be able to offer the classes I needed for a 4 year degree. I was very happy to move because Albuquerque seemed so exciting coming from a small town. However, I did not attend UNM right away; I took online classes for one year through NMSU because we had moved so suddenly. But, I would go back and tell myself to start at UNM right away because this eventually put me behind on the credits I needed to graduate on time. Ultimately, I needed to get out of my comfort zone and venture out into the world.

As a freshman, I don’t think most of us really see how things all fit together from the time you start college until you graduate. At least for me, I always felt like graduation was too far off and I didn’t realize everything it would take to find a job. It is important to start thinking about that right away and get involved with organizations on campus and get to know people; all of that pays off when it comes time to find a job. I was a junior at Anderson by the time I figured out I needed to get involved and do more than just school. So, I joined student organizations and really got to know people who have helped me along the way.

It is weird looking back on my whole college experience and see where I am today. Now, I am already almost done with my first semester as an MBA student and I have a job at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney as a Client Service Associate. I love it and I am learning a lot about the finance world. I’m excited for what else is coming my way after I am completely done with school. It is coming up fast, but I’m ready!

Brianna Jackson received her BBA from Anderson is currently pursuing her MBA in Finance with plans to graduate in 2014. She currently works for Morgan Stanly Smith Barney as a Client Service Associate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and discussion may be moderated. Offensive content (including, but not limited to, racist, sexist, homophobic or anti-Semetic statements) may be deleted, as well as comments that insult, bully, threaten, harass or libel.